[pyar] Mystic Mine open source

Sebastian Bassi sebastian.bassi en globant.com
Lun Nov 19 20:05:32 ART 2012

El autor abrió su juego Mystic Mine, paso el anuncio aca porque el juego
está bueno y lo he mostrado en algunas charlas como ejemplos de juegos
copados que se puede hacer en Python:

Plenty of people have mailed me with the request to port Mystic
Mine<http://t.ymlp232.net/bwaoahjbyadauwwacajbq/click.php> to
some platform X (because that would be really cool!). Or to distribute
Mystic Mine where it’s currently not available. But the sad truth is that I
can’t put much energy in Mystic Mine because I’m focussing on RPG
Playground<http://t.ymlp232.net/bqalahjbyaiauwwaiajbq/click.php>.
I feel sad about this, because it would indeed be cool if Mystic Mine
received more attention.
Therefore I decided to release Mystic Mine as Open Source, both the source
code and as much content as possible. All source code and content is now
released under the MIT license at
https://github.com/koonsolo/MysticMine<http://t.ymlp232.net/byavahjbyacauwwakajbq/click.php>.
This includes:

   - All source code (mainly written in python)
   - All graphics (Blender 3D and Gimp files included)

Unfortunately the music and sound of the original game were bought under a
royalty free license, and so they cannot be distributed here. Currently all
those files are silent. I hope someone can find a proper replacement for
these sounds and music files, so that the Open Source release of Mystic
Mine becomes a complete game.
Commercially I don’t have much to gain from this, but there’s a huge list
of things that would make me very happy:

   - My fans creating their own levels (There’s an ingame level editor that
   my friends and I used to create all those levels. Check the sources for
   hidden keyboard shortcuts).
   - Modifications, adaptions and improvements that I would never have
   thought of myself.
   - ’sudo aptitute install mysticmine’
   - Mystic Mine running on all kinds of different platforms.
   - The Open Source community receiving something back from me. As you
   probably know I’m a huge fan of Open Source. Mystic Mine was created on
   Linux using python, pygame, gVim, Blender 3D, The Gimp, Audacity, … . After
   receiving so much, it makes me happy to give something small back.

You can find all files at
https://github.com/koonsolo/MysticMine<http://t.ymlp232.net/byavahjbyacauwwakajbq/click.php>
.

Enjoy, and have fun! (and tell all your friends [image: :)] )

--
Sebastián Bassi. sebastian.bassi en globant.com
Lic. en Biotecnología con orientación en genética molecular.